Magnus on Wed, 9 Jul 2003 22:04:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Community Service Project

On Wednesday, July 9, 2003, at 09:10 PM, Jon Nelson wrote:

This is where PLUG comes in...I was hoping to recruit as many people as
possible to install Linux on all the boxes. I'm hoping the majority will
have the same hardware, which would make this decidedly less difficult.
As far as time frame, I don't have one. I'm just trying to gauge the
level of cooperation I can muster.

If you do it right, it actually won't take more than one or two people.

The trick is to automate the installs. For Red Hat, I've had some success with Kickstart (but not today... I tried doing something new and it didn't work as expected...)

I have been in a similar boat where I got a large number of PC's, mostly alike (though with some differences) and used kickstart to automate the Linux installs (used Ghost for the Windows machines).

You spend most of your time at the front end deciding the proportions for disk partitioning, with minimums & maximums, what packages you want installed by default, post-install script, etc. You're also going to want a big fat network switch, and borrow an ftp server with a gigabit link to the big fat ethernet switch (which will help you handle concurrent loads). Of course, this being a volunteer project you might have to live with whatever you can scrape up and just let the installs take longer.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
http://trilug.org/~chrish