Magnus on Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:27:22 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Community Service Project (Devil's advocate)

On Thursday, July 10, 2003, at 05:00 PM, George Gallen wrote:

There are surely many more job opportunities out there
for those versed in Windows vs those versed in linux.

That's an incredibly nearsighted basis for recommending Windows, George. If these were High School seniors I might have a little more tendency to not balk at this.

I've been doing UNIX & Linux work professionally for almost 6 years now.

I've been doing windows work professionally for over 9 years now.

The things I was doing 9 years ago in Windows are obsolete. The things I was doing 5 years ago in Windows are now largely obsolete. But you know what, I'm still doing the same things in Linux & UNIX that I was doing early on in that part of my career (plus some new things, too). The things I've learned with Linux have applied amazingly well when dealing with other vendors systems like Solaris, AIX and HP-UX. I have no reason to believe that the core of Linux will be all that much different in another five years. Whereas Microsoft has grandiose plans for totally revamping how we think of Windows every 4 or 5 years. Indeed, Windows 2000 is about to become largely obsolete within the Microsoft community.

Considering the age of these children, the staying power of UNIX, and the questionable future of Windows (or should I say the complete assurance that Windows will be completely changed when these kids are out of high school) I think that putting some flavor of UNIX or Linux on these machines is a good thing.

Though if the goal were to teach them UNIX, I'd favor NetBSD or OpenBSD over Linux.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
http://trilug.org/~chrish