George Gallen on Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:01:15 -0400

RE: [PLUG] Community Service Project (Devil's advocate)

Title: RE: [PLUG] Community Service Project (Devil's advocate)

I'm sure this statement will be greeted with much
hiss and hatred....but.

I don't think that by supplying linux PC's will help
much in finding a job for these kids, vs leaving the
windows OS in place, and instead trying to get a low
cost Star Office in place. Not that gnome isn't a
windows environment and that there isn't software
available. The majority of the jobs outthere that these
kids will be trying to get in their near future will
most likely be running a windows environment.

There are surely many more job opportunities out there
for those versed in Windows vs those versed in linux.

While I'm sure it would be an incredible learning
exercise, I don't think it would help much for job
seeking.

Very few games would run on these machines, but games
I mean educational type games (Jumpstart, etc.) which
could be borrowed from libraries and/or schools. As well
what kind of computer system does the school system in
Chester Co use? Do they require a windows type machine
for any software that the techers might be handing out
to supplement their textbooks?

Great Idea, great for linux, but maybe not so great
  for the intended purpose.

George