Jon Nelson on Fri, 11 Jul 2003 08:45:57 -0400

RE: [PLUG] Community Service Project (Devil's advocate)

George Gallen said:
> I don't think that by supplying linux PC's will help
> much in finding a job for these kids, vs leaving the
> windows OS in place, and instead trying to get a low
> cost Star Office in place. Not that gnome isn't a
> windows environment and that there isn't software
> available. The majority of the jobs outthere that these
> kids will be trying to get in their near future will
> most likely be running a windows environment.

I had this same argument with my wife.

One of my main reasons for putting Linux on these machines is that the
families are very economically challenged.  If we keep win98 on these
machines, it's already outdated.  At some point Microsoft will stop
supporting win98, programs will stop being written for it and then where
will they be?

As someone pointed out it's not so much Windows as it is Office, which
they definitely can't afford.  If we're talking about using Star Office,
then there is no reason not to use Linux.

As for the job market, these kids are in elementary school.  I have only
been messing around with Linux for about four years, but in that time I
have seen it grow by leaps and bounds and I believe that it will continue
to grow exponentially.  By the time the kids reach high school I think
that their skill set in using Linux will be in high demand.

Another key reason in using Linux for this project is the social awareness
it will bring these kids, as it has done for me.  They will learn that the
free exchange of ideas and information really does benefit themselves and
their society.  They'll learn to collaborate with others and be apart of a
team and when they win the teams wins.  Along these lines Paul's idea for
PLUG, Jr. is just stellar!

I think the kids could be taught so many valuable lessons using Linux on
both the technical and social front it would be a shame not to use it.

Jon
--
Trooper Jon S. Nelson, Linux Certified Admin., CCNA
Pa. State Police, Bureau of Criminal Investigation