Craig Brennan on Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:33:09 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Community Service Project (Devil's advocate)

In the interest of not confusing the kids, I also think that the younger
you get the child, their familiarity with Linux will probably equal their
familiartity with Windows - zero.  I think the beauty of an idea like this
is that you pretty much get a tabula rasa to mold and shape with whatever
OS you give them.  Plus, the younger the kid, the more they will at least
try to adapt to whatever you throw in front of them.  Imagine 5 years down
the road when they blow their computer teacher's mind when they raise
their hand and say that they use Linux at home.

When I taught in Philadelphia (North philly), the familiarty issue was
with Playstation vs. Nintendo 64.  Computers never entered the equation.
The rare exception was having a middle-class relative who lived in the
burbs or a nicer part of the city.  Then they had some knowledge of Word
and how to use a browser.