Rebecca Ore on Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:30:27 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Community Service Project (Devil's advocate)

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 11:37:48AM -0400, Jon Nelson
(quincy@linuxnotes.net) wrote:

> I whole heartily agree.  We can't just dump the computers on them and
> walk away hoping they'll figure it out.  Not only should they be
> provided with the computers but the resources to grow with that
> computer.  That's why I think PLUG, Jr. is such a great idea.  I have
> to look into low/no coast dial up connections for them as well.

*Must* get the parents to sign on for this.  Really.  And if parents
don't want their elementary school children on line, no matter what we
think of this, we can't put that child on line.

Being able to play with people who'd be potentially much more dangerous
face to face is educational and with some commentary from the concerned
adults in an adolescent's life, great preparation for dealing with jerks
in real life.

But not all parents are going to want their children up and running on
AIM and the Internet.

It's an advantage in presenting this to parents that you're a LEO with a
specialty in computer crimes.  I think there's been a lot of FUD spread
about children on line, but there are some basic precautions people
should take.

--
Rebecca Ore
http://mysite.verizon.net/rebecca.ore