Jon Nelson on Fri, 11 Jul 2003 14:52:09 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Community Service Project (Devil's advocate)

Rebecca Ore said:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 11:37:48AM -0400, Jon Nelson
> (quincy@linuxnotes.net) wrote:
>>
>> I whole heartily agree.  We can't just dump the computers on them and
>> walk away hoping they'll figure it out.  Not only should they be
>> provided with the computers but the resources to grow with that
>> computer.  That's why I think PLUG, Jr. is such a great idea.  I have
>> to look into low/no coast dial up connections for them as well.
>
> *Must* get the parents to sign on for this.  Really.  And if parents
> don't want their elementary school children on line, no matter what we
> think of this, we can't put that child on line.
>
> Being able to play with people who'd be potentially much more dangerous
> face to face is educational and with some commentary from the concerned
> adults in an adolescent's life, great preparation for dealing with jerks
> in real life.
>
> But not all parents are going to want their children up and running on
> AIM and the Internet.
>
> It's an advantage in presenting this to parents that you're a LEO with a
> specialty in computer crimes.  I think there's been a lot of FUD spread
> about children on line, but there are some basic precautions people
> should take.

They would definately get a "Safe Surfing" presentation.  This is going to
invole ever member of the family.  Once again we can't just dump a
computer them (read family) and expect them to figure it out.

Jon

--
Trooper Jon S. Nelson, Linux Certified Admin., CCNA
Pa. State Police, Bureau of Criminal Investigation