Chris Mann on Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:58:09 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Community Service Project (Devil's

So...

If we decide *nix is the way to go, how are we going to pass the
knowledge contained collectively in our wetware to these "eager young
minds of tomorrow?" I suppose we could ask them to meet at a place and
give them tutorials. But what about actually going into their homes and
helping them? I mean, isn't that what we're doing by giving them pc's?
We're going into their homes via hardware, why not via wetware? I bring
this up because I'm kind of worried that the families will get the pc's
and be happy and grateful. Then we tell them that yes, indeed! We will
show them how to use them etc, just be meet us here at 8pm on the second
tuesday of next week. They could have every intention of showing up but
for what ever reason don't make it. So they're left with half the story.
But if we not only give them the machines, but we also say "OK, if
you're interested in learning more about how to use what we gave you,
put your name on this list (PLUGJR), and you'll be assigned a mentor.
Your mentor will swing by and show you how to do everyday things and be
available to answer your questions as you go on in learning. I think by
doing this, we not only reach out into the homes, but also reach out and
guide. We guide those who want to, and those who don't....well....

Ok enough of me and my wall of text...