Fred K Ollinger on Sun, 13 Jul 2003 11:19:17 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Tech jobs and politics, and IT diploma mills

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Magnus wrote:

> On Tuesday, July 8, 2003, at 10:12 PM, William H. Magill wrote:
>
> > Keeping old machines running for "historical" or "fond memories"
> > reasons is a far cry from passing them off to others as "computers."
> > (I have enough of them in the basement myself.)
>
> What do you think pays for parts for the toys?  I've restored & resold
> literally hundreds of old PC's in my spare time, PC's that would be
> thrown out by most people (which is how I got them) but embraced by
> someone who only had $50-$75 to spend on the family computer.
>
> --
>
> C. Magnus Hedemark
> http://trilug.org/~chrish
> PGP Key fingerprint = 984D 9A88 3D60 016F BE01 1506 60FB 85E1 9ABD 96F6

The strange, strict definition of what most people think of as a computer
convinced me recently to not talk to non-pluggers about computers at all.
I deny knowing anything about except "just click it!" because when most
people hear you are good at computers, they assume you are a windows guru.
No arguing in the world will shake the idea from their head that you can
fix _any_ windows problem, and now you are their on-call IT support person
who is somehow obligated to work for free. Try asking these people for
free services...

Oh, and when they ask what that funny thing running on my computer is, I
say, I don't know I just use what came with it. :)

Fred