gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:14:16 -0400

Re: [PLUG] dig returns "Transfer failed", what to do?

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 09:33:39PM -0400, Jeff Weisberg wrote:
> the RR-Type is always describing the type of stuff on the right.

I really do disagree. Because I can leave off the left hand side,
and have the semantic meaning remain. Witness this example out of
eclipsed.net's zone file:

@   IN  A               66.92.234.99
    IN  MX      100     mail.eclipsed.net.
    IN  MX      200     mail.netisland.net.
    IN  NS              grappa.eclipsed.net.
    IN  NS              ns1.netisland.net.
    IN  NS              ns2.netisland.net.
    IN  NS              ns3.netisland.net.
    IN  NS              e.ns.madduck.net.
    IN  NS              f.ns.madduck.net.

All of these RR types are descriptions of eclipsed.net (expressed
here ONLY as @, shorthand for the declared zone).

And if that doesn't convince you, what about the SOA record? That
takes multiple "left-hand" arguments, which are descriptions of the
first item in the line. (Actually, the MX type takes two arguments
too... are you suggesting that the *last* argument is the thing
described? Because SOA goes against that too... it ends either in a
"contact email address" or in a block, depending on where you parse
the end of useful information in a single line to lie.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net