Kam Salisbury on Fri, 18 Jul 2003 06:13:51 -0400

[PLUG] Which license?

Hello everyone. Because I need to hone my scripting skills (and because I
have a need for a specific script at home and work) I am going to develop
and release one or more scripts via Freshmeat (http://freshmeat.net) I had
never really given license type a thought until now. When registering my
first (admittedly lame) creation to Freshmeat I was given a choice between
several license types ranging from freeware to BSD to proprietary, there
were too many to list here.

So, my question is, which license is more appropriate for something that is
just open source? I want to retain my rights to the scripts creative idea
but whish others to maybe see it and say "Oh... so that is how you do that."
Well, hopefully anyway. I chose "free for non-commercial use" for now since
I do not really know the various differences between all the choices. My
guess is that the BSD license fits my needs but I am not so sure. If someone
were to include my idea-concept-code in another project I would certainly
desire the nod of recognition if not some payola if it matured into a
commercial product.

Comments welcome...

Kam Salisbury
http://kamsalisbury.com