Stephen Gran on Sun, 20 Jul 2003 09:34:08 -0400

Re: [PLUG] debian movie player?

On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 04:41:54PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> I once found an mpeg movie player that I could apt-get (and so was
> free, etc.). I think it was discussed here, but google apparently
> hasn't indexed our archives.
>
> Googling gives me plenty of non-free options, but I haven't found a
> free one.
>
> Anyway, can someone point me in the right direction?
>
> Thanks.

As others have pointed out, mplayer is packged for Debian, but is not
yet part of the distribution itself.  Christian Marrillat has done a
nice job of packaging it up, and it's available here.  I believe he
also has a stable repository, if this requires upgrading too many libs:
deb http://marillat.free.fr/ unstable main

The problem with inclusion in Debian until recently was the use of
non-free Divx code, but that has been rewritten, so as soon as some
brave soul steps up, it should go in to the normal main repository.

If you don't feel like adding extra sources, I would recommend xine -
it's quite mature at this point, and besides some obscure problem
interacting with X4.3, (it doesn't crash, it sometimes just refuses to
start), I have no complaints with it.
|  Stephen Gran                  | The first rule of intelligent tinkering |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | is to save all the parts.   -- Paul     |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | Erlich                                  |