Chris Mann on Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:03:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Speakeasy Worldcom-to-Covad nightmare

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 10:04, W. Chris Shank wrote:
> I'd really like to continue to host my own server - but if I have to I
> can give that up. remotely connecting to machines is really important
> for me though - can I do this with a cable modem? I'm already setup with
> DynDNS, but I seem to recall that Comcast blocks all upstream
> connections.

I was going through a bit of the same thing with my cable modem
provider, RCN. I talked to the sales guys, they said "Nope, no webserver
or mail server allowed, we block 80 and 25." I talked to tech support
they said "Grab a static IP, and ports 80 and 25 are opened up for you."
So I shelled out the extra $20/month for the static IP.

For the most part, the service I get is pretty good. Bandwidth is nice,
as they have laid fiber in their service area, so you're getting 3.0mb
up and about 800 down, or so they advertise. Personally, I generally get
better..

--
Christopher Mann
Systems Administrator

*This email has been digitally signed using GnuPG.*