LeRoy Cressy on Wed, 23 Jul 2003 14:42:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Speakeasy Worldcom-to-Covad nightmare

My mother has Comcast out in Downingtown. At times the loop gets full and the speed is simular to dialup. I tried connecting a Linux box as a firewall, but all traffic was halted. It seemed that when the saw a Linux system with a dhcp client it would not assign an IP address. So I bought a Belkin router and connected her Linux box and her Windows box.

The Belkin router allows port forwarding so I can ssh into the Linux Box

Comcast and Verizon do not allow any servers and they will not give you a static IP

I hope that Speakeasy doesn't do the same to me. Thankfully there is no Covad in Juniata Park.

There are other ISP's other than Speakeasy in the area that will give you a static IP along with allowing you to run your own servers.

For the switch over you might want to install the new ISP on a second line.

W. Chris Shank wrote:
Speakeasy switched my circuit form WorldCom to Covad at teh beginning of
the month. After a 2 day outage during the switchover - I was fine for
abuot 8 days then I went dark 2 weeks ago tomorrow, and been that way
ever since. Trying to figure out what is happening between Covad and
Verizon is like watching 10 year siblings fight over who gets to sit in
the front seat. It looks like I will be moving to a cable modem
(reluctantly) - but before I do - I want to know if anyone else
experienced a similar nightmare during their switch?

Also - I figure if I had been with Verizon directly this issue would
have gotten fixed quickly. Anyone with Verizon? How do you like it? Do
you have any trouble remotely connecting to your machines? Server's are
a no-no I guess, what about multiple machines sharing the line?

I'd really like to continue to host my own server - but if I have to I
can give that up. remotely connecting to machines is really important
for me though - can I do this with a cable modem? I'm already setup with
DynDNS, but I seem to recall that Comcast blocks all upstream
connections.

Thanks

- -- Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com /\_/\
http://lrcressy.com ( o.o )
Phone: 215-535-4037 > ^ <

gpg fingerprint:  62DE 6CAB CEE1 B1B3 359A  81D8 3FEF E6DA 8501 AFEA

For info on enigmail:    http://enigmail.mozdev.org/download.html
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/