William H. Magill on Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:47:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Speakeasy Worldcom-to-Covad nightmare

On Wednesday, July 23, 2003, at 10:04 AM, W. Chris Shank wrote:
Also - I figure if I had been with Verizon directly this issue would
have gotten fixed quickly. Anyone with Verizon? How do you like it? Do
you have any trouble remotely connecting to your machines? Server's are
a no-no I guess, what about multiple machines sharing the line?

I have Verizon DSL though DCAnet as my ISP. ... have had it since it was Bell Atlantic.

DCAnet gives me 6 static IPs and nothing gets blocked. The Unix servers (web and mail) talk to the outside world and I can mount the disks on my Mac from California with no problems.

Aside from the "normal" Verizon wide outages, I have not had any problems over the years.

The problem with getting an outage fixed when you have somebody like Covad in the mix is that you suddenly have a three body problem --

Speakeasy calls Covad and then Covad calls Verizon. It's the "Whisper down the lane" game. And if Covad is having financial problems again and are late paying their bills to Verizon, you are the one out of luck.

With DCA, I have only "one hop" to Verizon.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com