sean finney on Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:28:03 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Speakeasy Worldcom-to-Covad nightmare

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 06:30:33PM -0400, eric@lucii.org wrote:
> My Linux box (e-smith) works just fine on Comcast.
>
> Secret?  When the cable modem powers up it reads the first MAC address
> it sees (your Linux box) and won't talk to any other MAC address.
>
> If you connect another computer to the cable modem you should power the
> cable modem down for 1 to 2 minutes so it goes "dumb" and accepts a new
> MAC address.

alternatively, since we're all l33t h4x0rs here, you can spoof the mac
address of the other machine and not have to bother waiting!

on the windows machine, get the mac address (winipcfg or ipconfig,
depending on your flavor of windows)

on the linux machine:

ifconfig eth0 hw ether $MACADDRESS

how to set it automatically at boot depends on your flavor of linux (man
interfaces for debian folks)

hth
	sean