Kevin Brosius on Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:50:25 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Speakeasy Worldcom-to-Covad nightmare

W. Chris Shank wrote:
> Speakeasy switched my circuit form WorldCom to Covad at teh beginning of
> the month. After a 2 day outage during the switchover - I was fine for
> abuot 8 days then I went dark 2 weeks ago tomorrow, and been that way
> ever since. Trying to figure out what is happening between Covad and
> Verizon is like watching 10 year siblings fight over who gets to sit in
> the front seat. It looks like I will be moving to a cable modem
> (reluctantly) - but before I do - I want to know if anyone else
> experienced a similar nightmare during their switch?

Who are you dealing with, SpeakEasy directly or Covad?  I recommend
hounding SpeakEasy relentlessly.  Once they get Covad moving the problem
seems to get solved.  They seemed to have a two week escalation time
when I subscribed, which was way to long in my opinion.  I did have a
very bad install experience with Speakeasy/Covad, and all because I was
shipped a bad modem.  Haven't had a failure yet that required me getting
Covad involved again though.  As someone said at the time (I think it
was William Magill), once they get it installed, if they don't mess it
up in the first couple weeks with a DSLam reload, you should be all
set.  Except for a couple outages, and about 3 or 4 power events on my
end that seemed to lock the modem, it's been trouble free since then.

The the connectivity/bandwidth has been excellent :)

--
Kevin