Toby DiPasquale on Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:02:10 -0400

Re: [PLUG] apache questions

Michael Lazin wrote:
I am trying to run a script on a web page that uses server side includes. I am relatively new to Apache. The file mod_include.so is in my /etc/httpd/modules directory. Does this mean that I have SSI or do I need to recompile Apache?

You don't need to recompile Apache. All you have to do is add "Includes" to your Options line in the <Directory> directive where you would like Server-Side Includes to work.

For example, this is what I have in my own httpd.conf:

<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks Includes
    AllowOverride None
</Directory>

This means that everywhere under my webroot directory SSI will work.

You will also need to add the following two lines to the following section:

<IfModule mod_dir.c>
    [...]
    AddType text/html .shtml
    AddHandler server-parsed .shtml
    [...]
</IfModule>

to make sure that all clients know that .shtml means an HTML document. You should already have these lines commented out in your httpd.conf file, so just uncomment them (or add them if they're not there for some reason).

Then restart Apache and you should be good to go! HTH! :)

--
Tobias DiPasquale
88FA 30C9 1E63 CFE2 CBD8  37C4 DA1C E2BF 1D26 F036