kaze on Sun, 3 Aug 2003 03:02:06 -0400

[PLUG] BIND troubleshooting / help

As part of a bigger project I am bringing up three authoritative name
servers running BIND 9.2.1 on Red Hat 9. I committed to do this as a way to
really force myself to learn more Linux stuff. While somewhat frustrating
("rndc-confgen -a" slowed me down for a while) it is working.

I have three boxes, ns1, ns2, and ns3, where ns3 is the master. All are
authoritive though the register's and root server's records don't point to
them yet - the domains these guys will serve DNS for are currently being
handled by the ISP's DNS.

They all work O.K. (I ftp'ed the zone files from ns3 to ns1 and ns2.)
Changes/updates to ns3 do NOT get copied to the others though.

snip of ns3's named.conf:
zone  "gh-systems.com" {
	type master;
	file  "gh-systems.com.zone";
};

snip of ns1 and ns2's named.conf where 10.10.10.213 is ns3:
zone  "gh-systems.com" {
        type slave;
        file  "gh-systems.com.zone";
        masters { 10.10.10.213; };
};

Is there some way to force a zone transfer?

rndc status, named-checkconf, and named-checkzone all say everything is
fine...

I read the docs Redhat provides, and the nice "BIND 9 Administrator
Reference Manual.pdf"

Also should my /etc/resolv.conf be simply "nameserver 127.0.0.1"? What about
forwarders, they don't seem to work for me either.

Is there a detailed with examples howto out there for this stuff?:
                        28800 ; refresh
                        7200 ; retry
                        604800 ; expire
                        86400 ; ttl