Martin DiViaio on Sun, 3 Aug 2003 16:47:11 -0400

Re: [PLUG] BIND troubleshooting / help

> They all work O.K. (I ftp'ed the zone files from ns3 to ns1 and ns2.)

FTPing the zone files should have been unecessary. When named started on
ns1 and ns2 it should have automatically tried to transfer the zonefiles
from ns3.

> Is there some way to force a zone transfer?

rndc reload gh-systems.com

> rndc status, named-checkconf, and named-checkzone all say everything is
> fine...

Try from a shell on ns1 and ns2:

dig @ns3 gh-systems.com axfr

If you get the complete zone file from ns3 then chances are everything is
set up correctly on ns3 and the problem is somewhere on ns1 and ns2.

Read the top of the dig report carefully. It will give you some important
debugging information (like the server it's actually talking to).

> Also should my /etc/resolv.conf be simply "nameserver 127.0.0.1"? What about
> forwarders, they don't seem to work for me either.

/etc/resolv.conf is for other programs on the system. It tells them where
to go to do DNS resolution.

Check /var/log/messages for messages from named and named-xfer. These will
generally tell you why zones are not transfering.

Check the permissions on the directory where named is trying to write the
new zone file. Check the permissions on the files themselves. Both the
directory and the zonefiles should be writable by the user named runs as.