kaze on Mon, 4 Aug 2003 01:37:17 -0400

RE: [PLUG] BIND troubleshooting / help

--> From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
--> [mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Martin DiViaio
--> Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2003 4:46 PM
<snip>
--> > Is there some way to force a zone transfer?
-->
--> rndc reload gh-systems.com

This and rndc reload (which I think does all the zones) do nothing.

<snip>
--> Try from a shell on ns1 and ns2:
-->
--> dig @ns3 gh-systems.com axfr
-->
--> If you get the complete zone file from ns3 then chances are
--> everything is
--> set up correctly on ns3 and the problem is somewhere on ns1 and ns2.
-->
--> Read the top of the dig report carefully. It will give you some
--> important
--> debugging information (like the server it's actually talking to).

Great idea. Works! (Works with @<IP Address> and @<FQDN>, but not with
@ns3 - I think this is due to my lack of DNS search suffixes though?)

<snip>
--> Check /var/log/messages for messages from named and named-xfer.
--> These will
--> generally tell you why zones are not transfering.

refresh failure: failure trying master 10.10.10.213#53 timed out

(This is the correct IP address as Cisco NAT is at work here.) But the axfr
worked...

<snip>
--> Check the permissions on the directory where named is trying to
--> write the
--> new zone file. Check the permissions on the files themselves. Both the
--> directory and the zonefiles should be writable by the user
--> named runs as.

ns1:
drwxr-xr-x	/var/named
-rw-r--r--	/var/named/ all .zone files

ns3:
drwxr-xr-x	/var/named
-rw-------	/var/named/ all .zone files

I think (from top) named runs as named. Not sure about how permissions work.

--> From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
--> [mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Tom Diehl
--> Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2003 8:35 PM
--> To: PLUG listserv
<snip>
--> rndc reload will reload any zones with newer zone info than
--> what the nameserver
--> already had. This is based on the serial number of the zone.
-->
--> Are all of the nameservers authoritive for the zones. If not
--> transfers will not occur.

I think so, all the zone files start:
$TTL86400
@	IN	SOA	ns3....

<snip>
--> > Also should my /etc/resolv.conf be simply "nameserver
--> 127.0.0.1"? What about
--> > forwarders, they don't seem to work for me either.
-->
--> On the local machine you can use either 127.0.0.1 or the ip
--> address for the interface
--> that talks to the real world.
-->
--> On an external machine you must use the ip address of the nameserver.

Huh? Re-confused :-(

<snip>
--> In the cricket book :-)
<snip>
-->                             1h )    ; Negative caching ttl 1 hour

Negative caching? - more RTFM for me.