kaze on Sun, 3 Aug 2003 09:53:06 -0400

RE: [PLUG] BIND troubleshooting / help

--> From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
--> [mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Paul
--> Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2003 3:33 AM
--> To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
--> Subject: Re: [PLUG] BIND troubleshooting / help
-->
--> kaze wrote:
-->
--> >Is there some way to force a zone transfer?
--> >
--> >
-->
--> Since I would bet that we're the only ones reading PLUG mail right now,
--> I'll toss out a thought.  Did you increment that magic [serial] number
--> that indicates that you edited a file and that changes need to be
--> propagated?
-->
--> (Doing a quick search...)
-->
--> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html

Thanks for the search, but that's a BIND 7 from '96; this one's fun (HOWTO
become a totally small time DNS admin) and helpful too
<http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/howto/DNS-HOWTO>.

--> "A zone is only transferred if the serial number on the master
--> is larger
--> than on the slave."
-->

I have been updating the serial numbers, I often forget, but then vi right
back in and do it before even testing. For a while I had "notify yes;" lines
in there too, but then found out that that's the default an removed them.