Will Dyson on Mon, 4 Aug 2003 15:10:18 -0400

[PLUG] IPtables and forwarding latency

Friends,

We have set up a client of ours with a Linux box (running the Gibraltar
livecd distro) for a firewall/router/ip accounting solution. The
shorewall program is used to configure iptables.

Periodicly, the latency of pings through the router goes through the
roof. From less than a millisecond to more than 500 on average. Issuing
a 'shorewall restart' command (which clears and re-inserts the iptables
rules) brings the latency back down to normal.

The box is running the 2.4.20 kernel (with some patches from the
Gibraltar maintainer), so this issue http://lwn.net/Articles/42344/
might be relevent (we have connection tracking, but not NAT turned on).
But if that doesn't turn out to be the problem, does anyone have any
other ideas?

--
Will Dyson
"Back off man, I'm a scientist!" -Dr. Peter Venkman