Mental Patient on Mon, 4 Aug 2003 14:29:07 -0400

RE: [PLUG] BIND troubleshooting / help

On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 12:31, kaze wrote:

> Guess I'm missing the
> allow-transfer { DIRECTIVES; };
>
> which on the master would be
> allow-transfer {
>         ns1.intelli-media.com;
>         ns2.intelli-media.com; };
>
> I will, of course try it, but from the BIND 9 Administrator Reference Manual
> by Internet Software Consortium:
> allow-transfer
> Specifies which hosts are allowed to receive zone transfers from the server.
> allow-transfer may also
> be specified in the zone statement, in which case it overrides the options
> allow-transfer statement.
> If not specified, the default is to allow transfers to all hosts.

You might not want all hosts to be able to do zone transfers.

> Also, doesn't the fact that a dig zone transfer worked from slave hitting
> the master mean that it's allowed?

Yes, it should. That also means that things should be most of the way
done toward working...

> I think it's all as root; though top shows named's user as named so I might
> have to set some permissions on the slave's files?

Then its not running as root. Can the user its running as create files
in the cache directory? If not, that could explain why you had to ftp
things. Tail your logs when you're restarting the master server, see
what it says.

--

Mental (Mental@NeverLight.com)

CARPE NOCTEM, QUAM MINIMUM CREDULA POSTERO.

GPG public key: http://www.neverlight.com/pas/Mental.asc