Tom Diehl on Tue, 12 Aug 2003 11:45:24 -0400

[PLUG] Re: What is /proc/kcore

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Paul wrote:

> LeRoy Cressy wrote:
>
> > Everything in /proc is in memory.  /proc is not taking up any disk
> > space.  If you do a du on /proc you will find:
> >
> > sudo du -hs /proc
> > 0       /proc
>

> OK, so how do we find out how much memory is being used to hold kcore,
> which represents, in my case, 320MB of RAM?

What are you trying to accomplish?? A certain small amount of memory is
allocated by the kernel to build the /proc filesystem. It is not using
320 MB of ram. If it was you would not have any ram to run the rest of the
system. On one of my systems with 512 Megs of memory in it I get the following:

(tigger pts9) # du -hs /proc
3.0K    /proc
(tigger pts9) # ll -h kcore
-r--------    1 root     root         512M Aug 12 11:38 kcore
(tigger pts9) #

It looks to me like it is really using about 3k. If there really was a 512Meg
file in /proc I would not have any memory to run other programs.

IOW do not worry about it. There is nothing you can do about it short of
recompiling the kernel w/o /proc support. You do not want to do that on a normal
system as that would break a lot of other things that depend on /proc.

Does this make sense??

--
......Tom		Registered Linux User #14522	http://counter.li.org
tdiehl@rogueind.com	My current SpamTrap ------->	mtd123@rogueind.com