Paul on Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:56:14 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: What is /proc/kcore

Tom Diehl wrote:

What are you trying to accomplish?? A certain small amount of memory is
allocated by the kernel to build the /proc filesystem. It is not using
320 MB of ram. If it was you would not have any ram to run the rest of the
system. On one of my systems with 512 Megs of memory in it I get the following:

I guess I'm just amazed that 320MB of RAM can be represented in core format without using much memory, considering that my system is usually using a large portion of that RAM. I'll be happy to accept that it's another one of those mysterious kernel things.