Toby DiPasquale on Wed, 13 Aug 2003 08:07:08 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: What is /proc/kcore

Paul wrote:
I guess I'm just amazed that 320MB of RAM can be represented in core format without using much memory, considering that my system is usually using a large portion of that RAM. I'll be happy to accept that it's another one of those mysterious kernel things.

That's why its confusing to you. That's not a representation of the memory on your system; it __IS__ the memory on your system. Via the seq_file interface in the kernel, your RAM is read out on-the-fly when you read from /proc/kcore. Whatever's in RAM, that's what comes out.

--
Tobias DiPasquale
88FA 30C9 1E63 CFE2 CBD8  37C4 DA1C E2BF 1D26 F036