Kam Salisbury on Sat, 16 Aug 2003 08:55:14 -0400

[PLUG] This Box Rocks, but on XP?

Ok, this post if for probablly for the embedded Linux crowd or maybe the
"I want to build my own Tivo type Linux set top box" crowd (I fall into
that category).

While reading through the OSDN (www.odsn.com) email I get regualrly, I
found the following new product at the bottom of the email...

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/slim_pc/slm/pro_slm_detail.php?UID=431&MODEL=MEGA651

Now, THIS caught my eye. An integrated LCD readout? Functions that
basically place it into the mini-stereo market but it is a fully
functional P4 type PC. The only thing I see wrong with this picture is
that the system is designed for Windows XP. The current pricing for a bare
bone unit is under $300.

Another system on MSI's website
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/slim_pc/slm/pro_slm_detail.php?UID=487
seems to be a possible second choice because it could house all the same
hardware but it is sans LCD display.

So... I am wondering. How big of a deal would it be to use Debian lets say
and get most of the functions of a Tivo device. Maybe even wrap all that
customization up on a custom CD distro and offer it to the company for
their users?

--
Kam Salisbury
http://kamsalisbury.com