Paul on Sat, 16 Aug 2003 12:09:08 -0400

Re: [PLUG] This Box Rocks, but on XP?

Kam Salisbury wrote:

So... I am wondering. How big of a deal would it be to use Debian lets say
and get most of the functions of a Tivo device. Maybe even wrap all that
customization up on a custom CD distro and offer it to the company for
their users?

Have you seen MythTV? http://mythtv.org/

You could connect your own LCD to an I/O port on the computer. I know an LCD can be connected through a parallel port, and I have connected an LCD to a serial port. I think I even saw a project for connecting an LCD to the IDE bus. The point is, you can do it yourself.

LCD character modules can be puchased for under $15. Graphics modules might start at about twice that amount.