William H. Magill on Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:05:18 -0400

Re: [PLUG] This Box Rocks, but on XP?

On Saturday, August 16, 2003, at 05:47 PM, Paul wrote:
Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:
On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 14:10:19 -0400, Paul wrote:
 Remote control is something that would be critical.  I've heard of
some
remote control things for PCs.  I think Creative Labs has an audio
(and
more?) remote.  Actually, I was about to do a microcontroller project
with a TV remote. It would be interesting to have a generic remote
control system for a PC.
Might start at http://www.smarthome.com/. A bit pricey but might give you some ideas.
I actually thought of something right after sending my earlier message. The cheapest way to add a remote to something is to buy a toy and pull the electronics out of it. For example, a remote control car. Instead of controlling wheels and steering, it could be used to provide possibly four different control signals. The trick is to get your computer to respond to those signals.

If you are looking at this stuff seriously, visit "Mr. House." It's a pearl based home automation system. Does everything but scratch your back and probably could have a module designed to do that too.

http://misterhouse.sourceforge.net/

I just discovered it recently and haven't had a chance to play with it yet since it's based on perl 5.8 and I haven't upgraded to that yet.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com