Art Clemons on Tue, 19 Aug 2003 01:32:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] linux sound recording

Michael Lazin:
>Does anyone know of any good sound recording software for Linux?  A
>friend of mine wants to convert some of his tapes to CD, and I said
>maybe I could bring my laptop over to his place and plug his rec out
>into my laptop's mic in.   My laptop is running redhat 9.  I searched
>the web for sound recording software for Linux and found nothing good.
>Any help is appreciated.

First, you'll find that most likely your mic jack will be overloaded from the tape output to the mic jack unless you find something to attenuate the signal. If you have a linein jack, that will work much better, otherwise find an attenuating jack from someplace like radioshack and plug the line into that. If you're a builder, two resistors of approximately 200K each inserted into each line will probably be enough attenuation.

I've used a program named Krecord in the past to capture audio as a wave file, then converted the wave file to either MP3 format or alternatively as an audio file to be written to a CD. It assumes you have KDE installed properly. I can see using programs like sox to convert your recorded wav files to some less lengthy format, but if your friend has to have the sound playable on any CD, recording the wav file to CD is the best choice. I can't presently remember the commands with cdrecord, but man cdrecord should give enough hints for you to get things started.