sean finney on Tue, 19 Aug 2003 08:02:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] linux sound recording

hi michael,

this below comes with the disclaimer that i've never used it, but it looks
promising...

hth,
	sean

Package: gramofile
Section: sound
Installed-Size: 256
Maintainer: Daniel Kobras <kobras@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 1.6-4
Depends: fftw2 | fftw2-double, libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4), libncurses5 (>= 5.2.20020112a-1)
Recommends: mctools-lite
Suggests: cdrecord
Filename: pool/main/g/gramofile/gramofile_1.6-4_i386.deb
Size: 89826
MD5sum: 2367f5c983c3a43d4e5fd1d36e5d2de9
 GramoFile enables you to record audio from (for example) gramophone
 records, process the signal and listen to the results. Because sound
 files in .WAV-format are used, it is possible to exchange the files
 with many other programs. Cdrecord(1) can burn CD-Recordables of these,
 so you can make CDs with the music of your favorite records.  The user
 interface of GramoFile has a windows-like look-and-feel, making it
 fairly easy to use.
 .
 One of the most important parts of GramoFile is the ability to process
 digital audio signals. Through the application of several filters it
 is possible to accomplish a significant reduction of disturbances like
 ticks and scratches. These filters have been programmed in such a fashion
 that they can be applied in any order (and multiple times) in a single
 run, thus avoiding the use of temporary files. It is possible to adjust
 the properties of each filter independently, so in every situation an
 optimal result can be achieved.
 .
 Another interesting feature is the track splitting. Just make one .wav
 file of an entire side of an record and GramoFile will detect where
 the individual tracks are located. This happens fully automatically,
 without need to set any options. More experienced users may fine-tune
 the algorithm, or change the detected track starts and ends, but
 generally that will not be necessary. Track-times are saved in an
 editable (plaintext) .tracks file, that will be used during the signal
 processing to produce one processed .wav file for each individual track.
 .
 To record and play .wav files, modified versions of brec(1) and bplay(1)
 by David Monro are included. These programs provide buffered recording
 and playback, so all will go well even on a highly loaded system. Both
 programs have been modified to support the standard GramoFile user
 interface.  Brec also got a `graphical' peak level meter, and bplay a
 running time display.