Jon Nelson on Thu, 21 Aug 2003 08:50:21 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG, Jr.: Summer Vacation

Paul said:
> The PLUG mailing list has not been very active this summer.  I'm
> wondering if PLUG, Jr. would be more or less active during the summer.
>
> JN, how is the PLUG, Jr. (or whatever the code name may be) project doing?

The list traffic might be slow, but I have been very busy at work and
home.  Consequently I have not been able to put as much effort I would
have liked into the project recently.

I am almost done with the letter to my Commissioner as well as a sample
project introduction letter.  This is not something I take lightly and
want to make sure it is done right before I send it to him.  I hope to
have it finished by the end of the week and will submit it next week.

I recently talked to Robert of Team Children and he is still ready to go.

One slight change in the project is that the school in question is the
Main St. School, an elementary school in the Chester-Upland School
District, which is located in Upland.  My friend always referred to
working in Chester so I just assumed that it was in Chester City.  For
those of you not familiar with the area, Upland is an adjoining borough to
Chester and the kids there are in just as much need as the kids in
Chester.  In fact since, it is in the Chester-Upland School District some
of the kids attending Main St. are from Chester.

> I just read a short write-up in Linux Journal about an organization in
> California which recycles computers, installs Mandrake or a choice of
> two other OSes on them, and distributes them to schools and
> non-profits.  Interestingly, many of their refurb sites, 9 out of 16,
> are run by the Department of Corrections.  Their Web site doesn't seem
> to mention the OSes, but here is the address:
> http://www.computers2learnby.org

Read the same article.  Thanks.

Jon

--
Trooper Jon S. Nelson, Linux Certified Admin., CCNA
Pa. State Police, Bureau of Criminal Investigation