Art Clemons on Thu, 21 Aug 2003 04:42:11 -0400

Re: [PLUG] This Box Rocks, but on XP?

Paul:
>Somehow a piece of plastic got knocked out of my Logitech optical mouse
>and it still works.  I very rarely, if at all, have to clean mine.  Our
>other opto mouse gets a little grime on its underside, but it really
>doesn't require cleaning to track reliably.  The only difference is
>that my mouse is on a cloth mouse pad and the other one is on a coated
>mouse pad.  So, I think a cloth mouse pad is better for the opto mouse.
>It might even provide better surface variations for the optics.  No one
>should have to use a ball mouse anymore, especially since the cost of
>the opto mouse has dropped.  (Assuming x86. I don't know what's going
>on with the rest of the world.)

Actually, I'ld suggest switching to optical trackballs instead if you're worried about tracking reliably. They don't need to be moved, and little folks who start out with them seem to love them. They don't even have to be the clunky ones from a few years back, Logitech for example has one that isn't much larger than a mouse which can be successfully used with either hand (something that's important to me, since I use my left hand to operate rodents and trackballs even though I theoretically am right handed). I admit though that cleaning one that has had coffee, tea or some other sugared beverage spilled is no fun but that usually causes us to throw out keyboards too.