Tom Diehl on Mon, 25 Aug 2003 08:24:20 -0400

[PLUG] Re: DSL has arrived!

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, William H. Magill wrote:

> On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 09:46 AM, Doug Crompton wrote:
> > On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, William H. Magill wrote:
>
> In case 2, normally your ISP will contract with Covad, who will
> contract with Verizon.
> I believe that Covad prefers to use a "dry pair" to run their DSL over.
> Meaning they will have Verizon install a non-dialtone line to your
> house, and then install Covad DSL
> modems on that line. I do not know if Covad will provide new DSL
> service over your existing Verizon phone line any longer. Note that
> there is a difference between services offered today, and those offered
> as recently as about 18 months ago... at least I think it was 1 April
> of 2002, but it might have been 1 April 2001, when Verizon changed a
> lot of contractual things with their "DSL partners." Covad also
> radically changed its relationships with RBOCs as part of its
> bankruptcy reorganization in December 2001.

As of 17 Jan 2003 Covad will still setup a shared DSL line. That is when I
got my Covad circuit connected, with Speakeasy as the ISP. I was told at the
time that I MUST remain a Verizon phone customer. The tariffs require it.

No one ever suggested that a separate "dry pair" might be necessary.

--
......Tom		Registered Linux User #14522	http://counter.li.org
tdiehl@rogueind.com	My current SpamTrap ------->	mtd123@rogueind.com