Jeff Abrahamson on Sat, 30 Aug 2003 14:41:07 -0400

[PLUG] dict is cool

I wanted a dictionary, and I discovered dict.

With a few nimble apt-get install's, I now have an extensive English
language dictionary on my computer, as well as translations between
English and French and German. (I haven't gotten accents to display
correctly yet, even though they do in iso-8859-1 texts.)

I also realized I could install 1990 and 2000 census data and make it
available to dictd (the dictionary server). So now I can do things
like "dict Milwaukee" (my home town) and find out the latest
population and demographic statistics.

All without needing to go to the web for each search. This is very
cool. I wonder if there's emacs integration...

--
 Jeff