Stephen Gran on Sat, 30 Aug 2003 19:46:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Disk-to-disk backup

On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 06:08:31PM -0400, Mark Dominus said:
> The -B option limits the size of each volume file to 1GB each, to
> evade the ext2fs file extent limit of 2GB.

steve@gashuffer:~$ ls -lh movies/
total 12G
-rw-r--r--    1 steve    steve        4.5G 2003-08-27 23:53 Knights.iso
-rw-r--r--    1 steve    steve        4.3G 2003-08-17 12:35 Knights_Tale.mpeg

The 2 gig limit hasn't been a problem for a while, last I heard.  Maybe
I'm wrong, but I haven't had any problem with either of these files.
Maybe it's because this is ext3?  But I thought that was essentially
ext2 with a journalling system on top.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

> Probably there's a better tool for the job that I don't know about.
> Does anyone have any suggestions for some other tool, or some way to
> fix one of the problems I mentioned above?

If you just want reliability, and it's on the same machine, I would
either set up something like software raid or lvm, or if that seems like
to much trouble, have you considered cp -a? :)  Sometimes simplicity
works best.  I realize it'll copy unnecessarily most of the time, but if
you're not looking for incremental backup (with restore from previous
version functionality) it's quick, robust, and simple.

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | Save gas, don't use the shell.          |
|  steve@lobefin.net             |                                         |