mjd-lists-plug on Sun, 31 Aug 2003 13:46:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Disk-to-disk backup

> Uh... Why not use tar?

Several reasons.  One is that I use the backup for several purposes.
One is to have a recovery path in case of a catastrophe.  Tar would
work OK for that.  But by far the more common use is for me to restore
single files that I've accidentally deleted (for which tar is slow)
and to compare the curent version of a file with the backup version
(ditto).  Finally, the tar format is very fragile; if a single byte
gets corrupted in the wrong place, the entire file can become
unreadable.  Compressing the tar files would make the files even more
fragile; a single bit corruption anywhere in the file would render the
entire file useless.

I'm using 'cp -a' now, but there are some things I don't like about
it.  The lack of incremental backup is one of them.