Paul on Thu, 4 Sep 2003 14:46:31 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Community Service Project

I was going to mention this to Mr. Simons, but I'll toss it out here. Last year my wife ran a Chinese Auction which raised a good amount of cash for a non-profit. The prizes come from a few different sources; donations, crafts, discount purchases. In the end, one person gets an even better deal and profit is made. And people may not be as sad if they don't win, knowing that they are contributing to a good cause.

(This year I'm donating four sets of GNU Win II, The Open CD, and KNOPPIX CDs.)

You can view some of the prizes in this year's and last year's auctions by starting at http://reddragoncanoeclub.org/events.php

Jon Nelson wrote:

Well I talked to my boss today and he told me that there is a standing
policy that the state police's name will not be used in any solicitations
for any purpose.  He was not aware of it nor was I.

So, where does that leave us? I talked to Robert over at Team Children
about this problem. He had some good ideas and a different angle to try. I will be re-wording my letter and he will incorporate it in grant
proposals. I will indicate that I am in law enforcement, but not who I
work for. He believes that we'll have the money within six months. I
plan to have the letter off to Robert by the end of the week.

I will continue to keep you all posted.  If you have any ideas please let
me know.

Jon