Jon Nelson on Mon, 8 Sep 2003 22:53:28 -0400

Re: [PLUG] the Lack of GUI Blues

This help?

http://www.uniqsys.com/pipermail/talug/2002-November/001796.html

As far as error #2...So I take it that you have an ATI card not a NVIDIA?

Jon

jeff said:
> So I'm minding my own business, Debian sid-ing my way through life when it
> comes time to reboot.  It's been *months*, unlike my boxes that run
> another system.  Oops - I'm suffering from a blown GUI.  As nice as that
> could possibly sound, my email's in Evolution so it would be kinda nice to
> have it back.
>
> I've been all over the web, Googling error messages, with absolutely no
> success.  I have removed KDE, Xfree86, KDM, and anything else that looked
> remotely related, with largely the same result - a stunning lack of GUI
> (yes, I reinstalled the packages after purging).  There was no obvious
> precipitating event or installation.
>
> The first error messages seemed to deal with fonts, almost as if it were a
> path problem or the fonts all packed up and ran away overnight.  The
> current ones look like this:
>
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc: line 2: /usr/bin/X11/X: No such file
> or directory
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc: line 2: exec: /usr/bin/X11/X: cannot
> execute: No such file or directory.
>
> It seems like maybe a funky config file is being retained, but I'd think
> that would go away with reinstallation of the packages.  I've spent *way
> too much* time on this, which would normally be an interesting activity.
> Short of slash/burn/reinstall (which I'm rapidly approaching), can anyone
> lend some expertise?
>

> Grassy Ass,
> Jeff

Trooper Jon S. Nelson, Linux Certified Admin., CCNA
Pa. State Police, Bureau of Criminal Investigation
Computer Crimes Unit
Work: 610.344.4471 Cell/Page: 866.284.1603
jonelson@state.pa.us