kaze on Fri, 12 Sep 2003 11:31:15 -0400

RE: [PLUG] DNS trouble shooting and DHCP/DNS connection

--> [mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Sijian Zhou
--> Sent: Friday, September 12, 2003 8:57 AM
<snip>
--> browser(http://192.168.1.1). How do I config DHCP or
--> DNS to feed/take DHCP dynamic ip address?

This is something I wondered about too, when reading / learning some BIND a
few weeks ago thanks to the PLUG thread "dig returns "Transfer failed", what
to do?" You can allow your DNS clients to update the zone files - this is
turned off by default and in a few places they note that you shouldn't use
it as it is a security risk. I made a note of this as it is opposite to
Microsoft's Active Directory model, where by default DHCP and static
hosts/clients populate DNS.

So it would seem to me a few tweaks in BIND and client conf files should
allow:
1. Host to get IP address and other info from DHCP server
2. Host to update DNS server zone files
3. You have LAN dynamic DNS ?