Tom Diehl on Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:25:16 -0400

[PLUG] Re: cable modem and MAC

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Paul wrote:

> Ruse, Kevin KPSI wrote:
>
> >If you worried about the cable modem caching the mac address, then you just
> >need to reset the cable modem everytime you switch machines. Most cable
> >modems have a reset switch or they reset after they are powercycled.
> >

> I guess I would try switching off the power for at least 15 minutes.

You only need it off for 10 or 15 seconds, but you must unplug it from the
power. Most cable modems no longer even have a power switch but the ones that
do, do not really turn the modem off.

Back when I worked for a local cable company we used to encourage the customers
to leave them connected to the power all the time. That way we could suck
snmp data from them to track signal quality etc. from them. No, we could not
watch their surfing habits. At least not from any interface I had access to.

It was however sometines interesting to watch the enormous amounts of data some
customers would transfer though. :-)

HTH,

--
......Tom		Registered Linux User #14522	http://counter.li.org