Douglas Johnson on Sat, 20 Sep 2003 00:07:10 -0400

[PLUG] messed up redhat box

Has anyone run into problems googling in the area recently? I am
pretty sure that it is my problem but as of this morning
www.google.com seems to drop any packets coming in on port 80
from my box. It pings just fine. and when I try one of it's ips:
216.239.53.99 everything goes smothly. However any attempts to
hit www.google.com directly on port 80 with firebird or wget
simply results in a timeout error. It's driving me nuts.
Fortunatly the form on thier page is self referential so if
I do use thier ip directly I can still ssearch and stuff.

I am running redhat 9.0 with an everything install and pretty much
every port but 80 turned off. Kernal version 2.4.20-8. I did mess
with /etc/hosts the other day (trying to thwart the verisign catchall
thing) but I am sure that I put everything back. I am on a comcast
cable acount. Thanks for any comments.
-douglas