Tom Diehl on Sat, 20 Sep 2003 00:34:06 -0400

[PLUG] Re: messed up redhat box

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Douglas Johnson wrote:

> Has anyone run into problems googling in the area recently? I am
> pretty sure that it is my problem but as of this morning
> www.google.com seems to drop any packets coming in on port 80
> from my box. It pings just fine. and when I try one of it's ips:
> 216.239.53.99 everything goes smothly. However any attempts to
> hit www.google.com directly on port 80 with firebird or wget
> simply results in a timeout error. It's driving me nuts.
> Fortunatly the form on thier page is self referential so if
> I do use thier ip directly I can still ssearch and stuff.
>
> I am running redhat 9.0 with an everything install and pretty much
> every port but 80 turned off. Kernal version 2.4.20-8. I did mess
> with /etc/hosts the other day (trying to thwart the verisign catchall
> thing) but I am sure that I put everything back. I am on a comcast
> cable acount. Thanks for any comments.
> -douglas

A couple of questions for you. Do you have iptables running?? If so are
you allowing posr 53 (dns) outbound?? Run "iptables-save" tp see your rules.
What is in /etc/resolv.conf?? Are the nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf reachable.
Generally speaking if you cannot reach a site by name but can reach it by ip
address then you have some kind of dns problem. What did you try to do to
"thwart the verisign catchall thing"

HTH,

--
......Tom		Registered Linux User #14522	http://counter.li.org