Ruse, Kevin KPSI on Wed, 24 Sep 2003 09:22:18 -0400

RE: [PLUG] Firewall Check

 We'll i'm confused by that question as that would only limit icmp. I'm
thinking you may be slightly confused about ip networking.

 You have three commonly used protocols running across IP ICMP, TCP, and
UDP. ICMP is the Internet Control Message Protocol and was intended for use
as an error control mechanism for IP. It is considered part of IP not an
application layer service running on top of it like a TCP (ssh) or UDP(dns)
service. Pings are part of the icmp protocol.

 For those two commands below, the first tells the os to ignore all icmp
packets with an ICMP type of 8 (echo request ie ping) thet second is a
subset of that which tells it to ignore all icmp packets with an ICMP type
of 8 which were sent to the broadcast address.

Kevin Ruse
Kvaerner Philadelphia Shipyard