kmhryhpdblyx on Sun, 28 Sep 2003 10:17:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Interesting Outsourcing Article...

At 09:10 PM 9/12/2003, Paul wrote:
William H. Magill wrote:

From my perspective, the whole outsourcing thing is actually overblown. The problem really is that the Companies are gone, not the jobs.

Hmm. Just a thought. Maybe there is a solution within the crowd of the under/unemployed. Just as Open Source is a collaboration of interested individuals and companies which produces impressive results, maybe the under/unemployed could join together, not to find jobs, but to /create/ jobs for each other. Could this be done by working together to create business opportunities through product development, skills enhancement, support networks, etc.? Could it hurt to think in terms of small business and collaborative employment?

I've had the same idea myself. There seems to be a lot of under-utilized creation of open-source software. But the problem as I see it is that most of the money is in boring, vertical-market software. It's not the kind of code that programmers like to write for fun. Lots of people want to work on a compiler, but very few care to do a billing application.

As an example, I work in the non-profit sector. It's not unusual for agencies to spend tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars on software that isn't always very good. I bet mine isn't the only field where that's the case. There might be a good opportunity for an open-source application to enter the market and take away share from the established vendors. Where's the money? Installation, customization, support, training etc....everything that the commercial boys provide minus the license fees.

--
Jim Foster - jif "at" computer .org http://www.voicenet.com/~jfoster
"Being on a Beemer and not having a wave returned by a ICQ 679709