LeRoy Cressy on Mon, 29 Sep 2003 12:50:27 -0400

Re: [PLUG] expect, /dev/pts, and a chroot

In the kernel compile under Character Devices you set the maximum ptys

Here is the help statement

CONFIG_UNIX98_PTY_COUNT:

The maximum number of Unix98 PTYs that can be used at any one time.
The default is 256, and should be enough for desktop systems. Server
machines which support incoming telnet/rlogin/ssh connections and/or
serve several X terminals may want to increase this: every incoming
connection and every xterm uses up one PTY.

When not in use, each additional set of 256 PTYs occupy
approximately 8 KB of kernel memory on 32-bit architectures.

Alex Birch wrote:
sean finney wrote:

[username@machine]$ foo
The system has no more ptys. Ask your system administrator to create more.
while executing
"spawn /usr/bin/id -un"
(file "/usr/bin/foo" line 9)

i've tried mknoding /dev/ptya*, /dev/tty[0-9]*, setting ownership and permissions, as well as mounting the devpts filesystem, but the error remains. anyone have an idea what i'm forgetting to do? any help would be appreciated, as i'm starting to run out of ideas.

thanks,
sean

What happens if you did a mount /dev /new_to_be_root/dev
chroot /new_to_be_root

Cheers,
Alex

- -- Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com /\_/\
http://lrcressy.com ( o.o )
Phone: 215-535-4037 > ^ <

gpg fingerprint:  62DE 6CAB CEE1 B1B3 359A  81D8 3FEF E6DA 8501 AFEA

For info on enigmail:    http://lrcressy.com/linux/mozilla.pdf
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/