Jesse Huestis on Wed, 1 Oct 2003 10:18:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Apple MAC recovery

Thanks all.

I have a start.  Lets see how this one turns out.

Jesse

William H. Magill wrote:

On Tuesday, September 30, 2003, at 10:24 PM, Will Dyson wrote:

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 21:24, Jesse Huestis wrote:

Hi All:

I have a client with a MAC OS 10.x and they have seriously crashed.
 Normally, I would take the hard drive and put it in a Linux or Evil
empire computer and recover the data they needed.  Has anyone taken a
MAC drive  and put it successfully into a Linux box and been able to
recover data?

OS X computers use the HFS+ filesystem. A linux kernel driver for that
filesystem exists and is part of the current 2.4 kernels. The old HFS
driver will not work with these new filesystems.

The debian package hfsplus contains userspace tools for accessing HFS+
filesystems.

If the filesystem itself is badly corrupted, you probably won't have
much luck with either of those tools. In that case, your best bet would
be to make a sector copy of the filesystem with dd (in case of screwups)
and then attempt to repair it on another mac using apple's disk repair
or Norton (I heard a rumor there was a better HFS repair util than
Norton, but I don't know what it might be).

Depending upon the problems involved... If the disk will mount.

1- Run Apple's Disk Utility - select first aid.
(This requires that the disk actually mount.)

If the disk won't mount use one of these tools, be certain to use the OSX versions as the earlier OS 9 versions are "problematic."

1- Disk Warrior (Alsoft.com) -- this does the absolutely best job of recovering the catalog if it becomes corrupted. It will succeed where all of the other utilities fail. (It also optimizes the catalog if it gets fragmented.)

2- TechTool Pro (Micromat.com) and Drive 10. Drive 10 will recover the munged label records and tree information which prevents Apple's disk utility from running. And then applies the same fixes. TechTool Pro does not yet exist for OS X. (Ignore the website, it is not shipping yet.) Drive 10 is basically for OS X what TechTool Pro was for OS 9.... a bootable CD in that particular OS.
The functionality of the two are pretty similar.

3- Data Rescue (prosoftengineering.com -- formerly wildbits) Will actually recover virtually any data found on the disk! (including long-ago erased files.) HOWEVER, you then have to figure out what it is and where to put it. It is a tool with out peer, however. NOTHING short of a service like Drive Savers can pull rabbits out of the hat like it can. But it is a LOT of work to use it.

4- Norton Utilities -- are a disaster with OS X. Do NOT use them. It corrupts the file system and destroys data. The problems are well known and documented, have been around since OS X came out, and have not yet been fixed (as of August).

The usual routine I use is to run or try to run:
1- Apple Disk utility
2- Drive 10
3- Tech tool pro V 3/3.5 (booted from its CD it boots into OS 9 and V3 - which knows about OS X HFS+ file systems. But there are updates to 3.5)
4- Disk Warrior

Note that Drive 10, TechTool and Disk Warrior all come on bootable CDs.
I keep a bootable fire-wire drive around with them installed on it.

T.T.F.N. William H. Magill # Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg # Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg # PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a magill@mcgillsociety.org magill@acm.org magill@mac.com