eric@lucii.org on Fri, 3 Oct 2003 10:40:38 -0400

Re: [PLUG] suse for newbies

I use Mandrake 9.1 and like it (although it tends to move my desktop
icons around when it mounts/unmounts disks - grrrrrr).

Your friend could try Knoppix - it runs right from the CD, lets you see
existing partitions, has lots of applications, and is based on Debian.
I just used it this week to archive some data from a WinXP box that was
unable to boot due to failing hard drive.  Less than 3 minutes and
you're staring at the knoppix desktop.  Very cool.

Eric

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 03:29:50PM +0000, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> Michael Lazin wrote:
>
> >I have a co-worker who is interested in trying out Linux and he wants me
> >to make him a Suse cd to try it out.  I can't seem to find any Suse
> >ISO's but I have a copy of Suse 6.3 that came with my copy of Quake III
> >for linux.
> >
> >He wants to try Suse because he heard it is easy to use and he doesn't
> >have to wipe out his hard drive in order to make a dual-boot system.
> >
> >Will the Suse 6.3 cd I already have do the job?  I never actually used
> >Suse, just Red Hat and Debian.
> >

> Everything I've read about Mandrake 9.1 seems to fit his requirements.
> I have the CDs, but have never installed it.  Let me know if you want me
> to make you copies (off list with a mailing address).
>
> --

> Art Alexion
> Arthur S. Alexion LLC
> mailto:arthur@alexion.com
> http://www.alexion.com

#  Eric Lucas
#     "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth
#      And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings...
#                             -- John Gillespie Magee Jr.