epike on Fri, 3 Oct 2003 10:09:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Recursive DNS

recursive = dns server asks other dns servers on queries
            it doesnt know about;  server will return
            you either the answer or an error condition.

iterative = can only answer from its authoritative data
            (its own zone files) or cache (recent queries);
            if dns server does npt know the answer it will
            tell you about a better dns server to ask (most likely
            the root server/s).

i allw recursive queries only from my own network; basically
you dont want to do recursive work for people outside your network.

epike